The Foundation FAQ
- When was the Foundation formed and how did Joan Mitchell set this up?
The Joan Mitchell Foundation was founded in 1993, the year after the death of the artist Joan Mitchell.
- What is an Artist-Endowed Foundation?
An Artist-Endowed Foundation is funded through the artwork and assets of either a living artist or an artist’s estate.
- Where does the Foundation’s money come from?
The Foundation oversees and maintains a collection of Joan Mitchell’s work. The sale of these paintings directly support the Foundation’s endowment, programs and grant making activities.
- Does the Foundation have to fundraise?
No, the Foundation is not allowed to solicit outside funding.
- Is there an exhibition space at the Foundation’s office?
No, the Foundation’s offices are not open to the public and do not have an exhibition space.
- Who is on your Board?
The Foundation’s Board is composed of working artists and art historians. The names of all Board members can be found here.