The Foundation Jobs & Internships
Researcher/Catalogue Raisonné Project Intern
Joan Mitchell Catalogue Raisonné
New York, NY
The Joan Mitchell Catalogue Raisonné project is presently researching Joan Mitchell’s paintings in preparation of a catalogue raisonné. This will be a scholarly publication documenting all of the artist’s painted work, including entries for each painting with complete descriptive information and detailed histories of ownership, exhibitions, and literature.
The Joan Mitchell Catalogue Raisonné is seeking a part-time Research Intern to aid with the collection of information about exhibitions and published materials pertaining to Joan Mitchell’s paintings, as well as assisting with painting provenance research. This internship will provide exposure to the operations of a Catalogue Raisonné project and the opportunity to perform in-depth research on a single artist’s body of work. This is a paid internship of two days per week and will last from the end of June through the end of August.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Support JMCR research staff by obtaining copies of exhibition catalogues and brochures, periodical articles (journals, newspapers, etc.), historic gallery checklists, and other materials from local libraries and archives
- Incorporate collected materials into the JMCR paper and digital filing systems
- Work alongside JMCR team to learn the operations of a Catalogue Raisonné project
- Aid with provenance research as needed
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Art history undergraduate or graduate student
- Experience performing research in art libraries and archives
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with close attention to detail
- Professional and friendly demeanor
How to Apply:
Please include a resume and cover letter, and responses to the following candidate questionnaire.
Candidate Questionnaire (500 total word limit – please):
1. What interests you in this opportunity?
2. Briefly describe your most relevant experiences and skills for this position.
3. What should we know about you and/or your background that might not be evident in your resume?
The Joan Mitchell Catalogue Raisonné is accepting applications by email at firstname.lastname@example.org through Friday, May 19. No telephone calls or visits please.