The Foundation Jobs & Internships
Researcher/Catalogue Raisonné Project Intern
New York, NY
The Joan Mitchell Catalogue Raisonné project is presently researching Joan Mitchell’s paintings in preparation of a catalogue raisonné. This will be a scholarly publication documenting all of the artist’s painted work, including entries for each painting with complete descriptive information and detailed histories of ownership, exhibitions, and literature.
The JMCR is seeking a part-time Research Intern to aid with the collection of information about exhibitions and published materials pertaining to Joan Mitchell’s paintings, as well as assisting with painting provenance research. This internship will provide exposure to the operations of a Catalogue Raisonné project and the opportunity to perform in-depth research on a single artist’s body of work. This is a paid internship which will last from early June through mid-August.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support JMCR research staff by obtaining copies of exhibition catalogues and brochures, periodical articles (journals, newspapers, etc.), historic gallery checklists, and other materials from local libraries and archives
- Incorporate collected materials into the JMCR paper and digital filing systems
- Aid with provenance research as needed
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Work alongside JMCR team to learn the operations of a Catalogue Raisonné project
- Commitment of 3 days a week
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL REQUIRED
- Art history undergraduate or graduate student
- Experience performing research in art libraries and archives
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with close attention to detail
- Professional and friendly demeanor
- While largely sedentary, this position requires the ability to sit, stand, lift up to 20 lbs, speak, and hear, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Requires the ability to use a computer and office equipment traditionally found in office settings
HOW TO APPLY
- Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through Thursday, April 18, 2019. No phone calls or visits please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.